I painted my side panels a metallic blue sanding between coats for a smooth finish. I plan on adding some custom graphics later, and probably seal the whole thing with a clear lacquer.
I used a slot cutting bit in my router, to cut the grooves in the edges of the side panels. Now they are ready to accept the T-molding which I purchased from the appropriately named T-Molding.com
This place is great, they seem to have the best prices, and they will even send you free samples so you can try before you buy.
I decided to go with the blue t-molding
delivered right to my doorstep!
As I started assembling the parts I had previously cut, I realized this thing was going to be quite massive, and being made primarily from MDF it was also going to weigh a ton. I wanted to be able to disassemble it for easier transporting, and not have to worry about squeezing it through doorways. I assembled the floor, front, and rear panels so that they could detach from the side panels. Now you can break the cabinet down if need be. this will be a key design feature as I move forward with the rest of the project, and I'm starting to envision what I need to do to accomplish this.
|Cabinet with removable floor and top panels|
|Light baffle, monitor shelf, and front door panel assembly, all removable|